Happy Monday everyone! We attended Metrocon in our hometown of Tampa, Florida last weekend and brought a whopping five panels with us! Three of them were repeats, two of them were first times (Studio Trigger Hype panel and Anime Films of the Last Five Years). We had a couple people after the panel ask us if we had a list anywhere of the movies we used. We said nope! You should have been taking notes dammit! Hit the jump to see more.
So anyway, here's a list of movies we spoke about along with short descriptions (ones with trailers will be bolded):
- Madoka Magica Recap Films: A compilation of the Madoka Magica TV series into two feature length films
- Berserk Golden Age Arc III: The Advent: The third and final installment in the Berserk Golden Age trilogy
- Mardock Scramble: A 3-part OVA sci-fi thriller along the lines of Ghost in the Shell and Psycho-Pass
- Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0: I'm not writing a description for this thing #sorrynotsorry
- Fuse: Memoirs of a Hunter Girl: film based on a classical Japanese novel about a young woman and her quest to kill the Fuse, human/dog-spirit hybrids
- Patema Inverted: Humanity attempts to harness the energy of gravity, half of humanity gets their gravity reversed and is forced to live underground instead
- Hal: Sad film about AIs and love
- Aura: Love, Chuunibyou, and Other Delusions before it was cool
- Short Peace: Anthology film in 4 parts by Sunrise, one part by Katsuhiro Otomo
- Saint Onii-san: Jesus and Buddha are roommates in modern-day Tokyo
- Magical Sisters Yoyo and Nene: A witch is transported to our world and must find her way back before the flow of magic permanently warps ours. Available on Daisuki.net
- Doraemon Stand by Me: Great film about Doraemon. 3DCG but was mentioned due to the incredible box office success it had
- Tamako Love Story: well-directed film by Naoko Yamada that takes off where the TV show Tamako Market left off
- iM@S Kagayaki no Mukou he: Movie companion to the iM@S TV show by A-1
- Giovanni's Island: Production I.G. movie about children in the aftermath if WWII. A Russian girl and two young Japanese brothers form a friendship while Soviet forces occupy Shikotan. The island is still in dispute today. Did quite well at film festivals. Not legally released in the US.
- The Case of Hana and Alice: Two neighbors in a middle school dorm become friends by solving a murder mystery. Prequel to a highly rated 2004 live action film named Hana and Alice
- Empire of Corpses: First of 3 in a series of adaptations of Satoshi Ito's books
- Anthem of the Heart: A young girl becomes unable to talk after her mother blames her for her parent's separation. Film by the same time as AnoHana
- Miss Hokusai: The life and works of ukiyo-e artist Katsushika Hokusai, as seen from the eyes of his daughter Ouei. Production I.G.
- You are Umasou: Children's book adaptation about dinosaurs fighting well. Noted in the panel for its amazing animation
- Garakowa: Restore the World: Post apocalyptic film about two AIs who travel into memories to delete viruses. By A-1. Released on Crunchyroll a week after theatrical release in Japan
- A Silent Voice: Adaptation of the same manga by Kyoto Animation. Massive critical success, story is about a deaf girl and her bully and how they grow up coming to terms with how they’ve acted. Releases in December in the UK.
- Doukyuusei: Two high school boys come to terms with their romantic feelings for each other. Got a small theater release in the US via Funimation
- Your Name: The big one! Smasher of records, bringer of tears. If you didn’t see it you dun goofed. Had a several week long run in the US, will be on bluray later this year.
- In This Corner of the World: Story about a girl who grew up on the other side of the mountain range from Hiroshima during WWII. You can see where this is going. Is getting a limited US theatrical release in late August
- Pop in Q: Literally the reason I made this panel. Film for Toei’s 60th anniversary about five girls who travel to the Valley of Time to save the world… through dance!
- Mary and the Witch's Flower: Studio PONOC's first work, looking to pick up where Ghibli left off
- Uchiage Hanabi: Youth drama anime by famed director Akiyuki Shinbou (Monogatari Series)
- The night is short, walk on girl: College Love Drama with the same style as The Tatami Galaxy
- Lucien and the Ancient Tablet (Hiru-ne Hime): A girl dreams of the end of the world and realizes her dream is becoming reality
- Godzilla New Planet: Netflix project. Humanity leaves earth to avoid fighting Godzilla. Comes back after finding no hospitable planets and finds Earth overrun by kaiju
- Lu Over the Wall: Original film by Masaaki Yuasa. Not Ponyo.